4.05.2009

The Barkley what?


So what to talk about today? How about running? Weird huh? I put in about 10 miles this weekend. 266.0 down, 734.0 to go on the Trail to 1000 My legs felt good, but I could tell the depth wasn't there. I'm cool with that considering what I put them through, and especially since a year ago my running resume consisted of a couple of road 10k's. A couple, as in two.

Nicole has been incredibly busy with school projects and is getting ready to wrap up the first year of her graduate program. Still, she feels pretty good from last weeks run. Perhaps not quite 100%, but still she was able to get in a couple of gym workouts this week.

Okay, a little more about running...but not me running. I may have posted a few months back about the Barkley Marathons. I am bringing it up again now because it is happening as I type. Well it's happening for Andrew Thompson anyway. I think everyone else missed the cut off.

Washington Post article from 2007

History in brief of Barkley..

"The Barkley is considered one of the toughest 100 mile races in the world. It has 52,900 feet of climb (and 52,900 feet of descent), more than any other 100 mile race"

"Since the race began in 1986, only 7 runners out of about 650 have finished within the 60 hour cutoff."

"In 2008 Flyin' Brian Robinson set a course record of 55:42. He was the first person to hike the 3 major N-S U.S. trails in a single calendar year: Appalachian, Continental Divide, and Pacific Crest, 7400 miles in 300 days."

Yeah, that's right, the course record is less than five minutes from disqualification. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment